Hollywood’s ‘Hollywood’ franchise: ‘I want to get back to a place where we can make movies’
On the surface, the studio may have had enough, with the announcement that it had lost the rights to “Hollywood” to Universal Studios in January.
That announcement followed a string of disappointing releases, including the highly-anticipated “The Mummy,” and “Captain America: The First Avenger.”
But even the studio’s top executives were dismayed with the decision to part ways with the series.
“This is a difficult decision for us to make, but we can’t risk another year of ‘Halloween,'” said the studio chief, Kevin Tsujihara, at a media briefing in October.
“We want to make movies, and we want to create something new.
But we also want to be able to do it with the people who made it.”
“Halloween” had been one of the most successful films of the 20th century, and the franchise has spawned numerous spin-offs, including “Mummy,” “Dumbo,” and the “Ghostbusters” franchise.
“The first one was like a dream,” said David Ellison, the producer of “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.”
“I could see this movie being something that would really take off, and it would be a movie that would be very special to a lot of people, and I think it’s a really great franchise to own and be involved in.”
And, Ellison added, “Hannibal” was a great movie.
The “Hands of Stone” director, Alejandro G. Inarritu, said that the franchise’s future was in jeopardy.
“Hollywood is not going to be a studio anymore,” he said.
“I would rather see a movie where we take control of the studio and run the business, and be responsible for our films, rather than the other way around.
And I think that would create a more honest business model.”
But it’s not just the studio that is concerned about the franchise.
Many Hollywood executives also say that the “Hitch” rebooted in 2018 did not help matters.
“Hook” director Robert Rodriguez is reportedly unhappy with the new movie, which he calls “disappointing,” and will soon seek legal action against Universal Studios.
The studio is also reportedly considering canceling “Pirates of the Caribbean” after “Hail Caesar!” grossed $130 million domestically in the U.S. and $500 million internationally.
And the studio has reportedly been considering cancelling “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Doctor Strange,” and other projects that would tie in with the franchise, like “Hancock” and “The Jungle Book.”
In the meantime, some of Hollywood’s best-known actors are coming out against the reboot, and others are reportedly considering a boycott.
“That would be the worst of all worlds,” said Ellison.
“To me, the idea that they’re going to get a whole franchise off the ground and they’re just going to let the fans decide who’s going to have the best version of themselves, I don’t see that.
I don’s get the idea.”
And Ellison said that he thinks the reboot could have more of a negative impact on the “House of Cards” franchise than it has.
“If you had a movie like that that had the bad guys on the screen, you’d have a problem.
And that would cause a lot more anxiety, and people would be scared of that movie,” he told Entertainment Weekly.
“It’s a very, very different experience to having an American movie star on the set of the movie, to have a female star on set of that.
That’s not going the way we want it to go.”
The reboot is expected to premiere on Netflix on April 14.